Thursday, May 10, 2012

Vegan vs. Paleo



Anyone who knows me knows that I am vegan and have been for 10 years. Anyone who knows me well knows that I have slipped up a few times :)
Truth be told, I did not go vegan for ethical reasons. I did it for the health benefits alone. While I do think things can be done to treat animals a little more humanly, ultimately they are being raised for slaughter and consumption, so the point is kind of moot. People have been eating animals for millions of years and they're not gonna stop any time soon.
 I had a friend cook a vegan meal for me a little more than 10 years ago.  At the point I was still heavy into bodybuilding. I weighed a lean 260 lb, worked out 6 days a week, and ate tons of meat with every meal.
 The last thing I would ever eat was tofu.   My friend turned me onto a  great book: Every Day Vegan http://www.amazon.com/The-Everyday-Vegan-Dreena-Burton/dp/1551521067  I read cover to cover, which  says a lot if you know me.
I was vegan from that day on. I did notice some loss of muscle mass but ultimately I felt great. My body started taking on a longer more athletic look. F.Y.I some of the most muscular creatures on the planet are vegan.

Recently there has been lots of talk about the Paleo diet:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet
I've done the research and it seems to be pretty legit. But after 10 years as a vegan, eating animals just seems gross to me.
Checkout this lecture on the Paleo diet and decide for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSeSTq-N4U4&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment