Friday, May 18, 2012

High protein Tofu Sammy lunch

  "You're vegan!? How are you so big?? What do you eat??"

 I've heard that for years. Now that I've got a blog I can share the snacks, recipes, and meals I eat to stay lean and large.

It's Friday. Today is my heavy shoulder, quad, and calf day. Large muscle groups when trained hard require lots of protein to recover.

My lunch today was a Tofu sandwich, apples and peanut butter.

Here's all you need:
Super firm organic Tofu can be found at Trader Joe's. I've always said  "Judge a grocery store by the quality of  their tofu and peanut butter". In that regard Trader Joe's is king. I've tried every shop in San Diego, and with the exception of  "People's" http://obpeoplesfood.coop/, they've got the best tofu around. 1 lb!!, 14 grams of protein per serving, 5 serving per package $1.99

Vegenaise can be found pretty much anywhere. I never cared much for mayonnaise as a carnivore, but as a vegan I love it. Go figure.

Find a descent loaf of organic wheat bread. This is my favie. 5 grams of protein per serving, vegan, and reasonably priced at  $3.49. Most Grocery stores have a good selection of fresh breads in their bakery section. Stay away from the crap on the shelves. If there are more than 6 ingredients you're eating chemicals

Teriyaki. Self explanatory. I like the thin marinade. The thick stuff is full of sugar.
Fresh veggies. Sometimes I use spinach, onions, or peppers. Today i'm using Romaine lettuce, a Roma tomato, a small avocado and fresh garlic.
Slice up the tofu. I like thick slices.
Dice up the garlic, mix it up with the teriyaki, drop in the sliced tofu, stick it in the fridge and let it marinate.

Toast your bread, slap some Vegenaise on one slice, avocado on the other.
Romaine lettuce and Roma on one side, tofu on the other. Once the tofu is marinated you can serve in cold like lunch meat or pan sear it with a little olive oil. I had it pan seared today.

Slice up your favie fruit, (I had a granny smith apple today) drop a big arse dollop of natural organic peanut butter for dipping (the fruit)

Stick your pinky finger in the air and eat it LIKE A SIR!


1 comment:

  1. That looks pretty good. I've been eating a similar thing lately. I wrap marinated tofu, veggies, and avocado in an Ezekiel sprouted tortilla. So good!!

    ReplyDelete