Thursday, June 14, 2012

Spot light "Ellie"

Ellie started taking my boot camp classes 18  months ago. When she started she had never run and couldn't do many of the most basic drills: Push ups, sit ups, bear crawl, dead lift etc...
Where most people would have seen the class's level of intensity and been intimidated, Ellie saw a challenge.

She became a regular at my 530 am classes, taking everything I could dish out. Olympic lifting, plyometrics, Muay Thai drills, full sprints, long flat runs, short hill runs, and a large black man screaming inches away from her face. All with a smile (most of the time)


Ellie is 57 years old. She can do three one minutes sets of military press with a 45 lb Olympic bar, three 20 rep sets of push-ups,  has dropped 35 lbs (and counting) and just finished her 2nd half marathon. 
She says "I'm running away from getting old, and so far its working."
She quotes US Olympian Pattiesue Plumer "Racing teaches us to challenge ourselves to push beyond where we thought we could go. It helps us find out what we're made of."

Trust me Ellie, You're made of pretty stern stuff!!!


Ellie found fitness later in life and has been born again HARD!
Whenever I'm training 40 and 50 somethings and I hear "Man, this is just too hard. I'm too old." I give them the "Are you effin kidding me face" and say

 "Have you met Ellie?"

No comments:

Post a Comment