Sunday, February 10, 2013

Vegan Pesto Veggie Pasta

I've been on a no soy kick for about a month now. It's been tricky making meals without my go-to, quick source of protein (tofu), but it feels better knowing I'm eating food closer to the way it comes in nature.
A few nights ago I realized that I hadn't eaten pasta in a while. Not for any reason in particular. I just kinda forgot about it. 
Most people think pasta isn't vegan. Well, most of the time you can buy any kind of pasta from anywhere and it'll be vegan. Some pastas (not many) uses eggs, so you'll have to take a second to read labels.
Technically pasta is a processed food, but everything else is fresh, and or raw so I let it slide. Plus I love how full I feel after a pasta dish.

Here's all you need:
* Broccoli
*4 medium sized Portobello Mushrooms
*2 yellow peppers
*3 cups Penne Pasta
*6 table spoons Pine nuts
*4 cups Fresh Basil
*4 cloves Fresh Garlic
*1 lemon (3 table spoons)
*6 table spoons olive oil (extra virgin if you're fancy. My palate isn't sophisticated enough to tell the difference) 
*1 cup Sun dried tomatoes
*WINE!!! 

                             Pesto Sauce: I totally jacked this recipe. Check it out HERE

1. Put basil, garlic, pine nuts, salt, lemon in a food processor. Process until everything is combined and has a finely ground consistency.

2. Add olive oil and nutritional yeast and continue to process until you get a creamy sauce



The Rest:
1.Prep 3 cups of Penne pasta. Do you really need me to tell you how to do that??

2. Toss the Chopped the yellow Peppers, mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes and broccoli in a saute pan with a 1/4 cup of water and 3 table spoons of olive oil. Blanch until the water cooks of (30 secs-1 minute), then pan sear for (30 sec- 1 minute)

3. Top a bed of pasta with your veggies, top the veggies with your pesto sauce, top the sauce with pan seared pine nuts, and GRUB!


4. Drink the wine. ALL OF IT!  (I drink 2-Buck Chuck with my pinky in the air 'cause i'm classy)


No comments:

Post a Comment